Monday, January 10, 2011

Remember Yearbooks?

 Ah, the good ol' yearbook.  Something we  can look back on and say, "Did I really wear my hair like that?"  Recently my sister-in-law asked me to design the yearbook for the elementary school she teaches at.  The first thing I thought of was, "Wow they start 'em off early now-a-days, huh?"  The youth of todays America has got it good, first the Internet, then cellphones, social-networking and now yearbooks!  

At-any-rate, the theme was Peace, Love & Learning.  Since I refused to go with the standard tie-dyed approach, this is what I came up with.  It's not really my cup of tea, however if I were a fifth-grader I'd  be pretty excited to have it on my bookshelf to go with all of my other colorful Judy Blume books. 
To me yearbooks are exciting the first five-minutes of having them.  You flip through, see how fat you looked and move on.  I'm hoping that one day when I have kids I'll want to go through them again and show them how awesome I thought I was; yet I'm afraid the initial reaction will probably re-occur.  However, with a cover like this the skies the limit! 

2 comments:

  1. Nice cover! At my kids' elementary school, they have a contest to come up with the best design for the cover of the yearbook. So, it's usually done by a 5th grader. I must admit that I have bought a yearbook for every year my oldest son has been in school and have decided not to buy one this year (6th grade year). We only had them in high school and I've only looked at them a couple times - when I first got them and then before my class reunions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! so creative! My school has never had a cover this beautiful!

    ReplyDelete